From: intl@NVDACon.groups.io <intl@NVDACon.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:49 PM
To: intl@nvdacon.groups.io
Subject: [NVDACon] Update for In-process

Afternoon everyone,

I'm working on this week's In-Process.  Would we like to include anything about NVDACon?  We don't have to, but if you want to, the opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Thanks Joseph - have you got one in mind to start with?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 3:19 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

May I suggest doing some kind of a series that highlights two to three past NvDACon topics and events that were community favorites, including NV Access keynote?

I'm working on this week's In-Process.  Would we like to include anything about NVDACon?  We don't have to, but if you want to, the opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.

Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).

I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.

I'm working on this week's In-Process.  Would we like to include anything about NVDACon?  We don't have to, but if you want to, the opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Some sort of conference milestones then.
Joseph, would you be willing to compile something for the series
you're proposing?
You're the one most familiar with gone-by sessions and neither Quentin
nor I have the time to listening to all the sessions of the past
although I'm familiar with the points you've mentioned.

One of last years highlight for me was the translation of the keynote.
I even visited the Spanish server during the replay broadcast.
Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.
Robert

On 20/10/2020, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

What I envision is a teaser about NVDACon in the next few In-Process blog posts through a section that describes some of the highlights from the past. Of course it should not be done in every blog post as it can turn off some audiences, but an occasional teaser may heighten audience expectations. I think it can also serve a purpose in telling would-be presenters two things: what was covered in the past, and helping people think outside the box in terms of topics that fit the conference theme. Of course these highlights should emphasize the conference theme (bridging the distance).

I'm working on this week's In-Process. Would we like to include
anything about NVDACon? We don't have to, but if you want to, the
opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process
releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

One of my favorite parts of past NVDACon was my first one back in 2015 and my first keynote that I heard from mike he did a good job.

[...]

If you can remind everyone to submit topics and link to our call for topics letter that would be great. Besides that I don't think there is anything needed at the moment.

One of my favorite parts of past NVDACon was my first one back in 2015 and my first keynote that  I heard from mike  he did a good job.
What I envision is a teaser about NVDACon in the next few In-Process blog posts through a section that describes some of the highlights from the past. Of course it should not be done in every blog post as it can turn off some audiences, but an occasional teaser may heighten audience expectations. I think it can also serve a purpose in telling would-be presenters two things: what was covered in the past, and helping people think outside the box in terms of topics that fit the conference theme. Of course these highlights should emphasize the conference theme (bridging the distance).

Some sort of conference milestones then.
Joseph, would you be willing to compile something for the series you're proposing?
You're the one most familiar with gone-by sessions and neither Quentin nor I have the time to listening to all the sessions of the past although I'm familiar with the points you've mentioned.

One of last years highlight for me was the translation of the keynote.
I even visited the Spanish server during the replay broadcast.
Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

derek riemer

The 2016 keynote is the first one to come to mind, followed by Tony's add-on talks and Deborah's language talk last year, followed by are the non-code contributions getting started that were done back in I believe 2016 or 2017. unfortunately the Google app session listed above did not have a recording due to technical glitches. That was way back when we were base smaller and we're still trying to figure out how to do all the recording stuff.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 6:24 PM derek riemer via groups.io <driemer.riemer=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

If you can remind everyone to submit topics and link to our call for topics letter that would be great. Besides that I don't think there is anything needed at the moment.

One of my favorite parts of past NVDACon was my first one back in 2015 and my first keynote that  I heard from mike  he did a good job.
What I envision is a teaser about NVDACon in the next few In-Process blog posts through a section that describes some of the highlights from the past. Of course it should not be done in every blog post as it can turn off some audiences, but an occasional teaser may heighten audience expectations. I think it can also serve a purpose in telling would-be presenters two things: what was covered in the past, and helping people think outside the box in terms of topics that fit the conference theme. Of course these highlights should emphasize the conference theme (bridging the distance).

Some sort of conference milestones then.
Joseph, would you be willing to compile something for the series you're proposing?
You're the one most familiar with gone-by sessions and neither Quentin nor I have the time to listening to all the sessions of the past although I'm familiar with the points you've mentioned.

One of last years highlight for me was the translation of the keynote.
I even visited the Spanish server during the replay broadcast.
Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

I'm thinking I might link to Tony's lightning talk on Sentence Nav and Indent Nav from 2018: https://www.nvdacon.org/18snin - I thought having an add-on developer talk about their work might be useful to encourage more add-on developers.

I was thinking "NVDA at work -support and help desk (Presenter: Tetsuro Kane, translated by Minako Nonogaki" sounds like a good one as a user talking about how they use NVDA, although the start at least is quite awkward and full of pauses.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:27 AM derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:

The 2016 keynote is the first one to come to mind, followed by Tony's add-on talks and Deborah's language talk last year, followed by are the non-code contributions getting started that were done back in I believe 2016 or 2017. unfortunately the Google app session listed above did not have a recording due to technical glitches. That was way back when we were base smaller and we're still trying to figure out how to do all the recording stuff.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 6:24 PM derek riemer via groups.io <driemer.riemer=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

If you can remind everyone to submit topics and link to our call for topics letter that would be great. Besides that I don't think there is anything needed at the moment.

One of my favorite parts of past NVDACon was my first one back in 2015 and my first keynote that  I heard from mike  he did a good job.
What I envision is a teaser about NVDACon in the next few In-Process blog posts through a section that describes some of the highlights from the past. Of course it should not be done in every blog post as it can turn off some audiences, but an occasional teaser may heighten audience expectations. I think it can also serve a purpose in telling would-be presenters two things: what was covered in the past, and helping people think outside the box in terms of topics that fit the conference theme. Of course these highlights should emphasize the conference theme (bridging the distance).

Some sort of conference milestones then.
Joseph, would you be willing to compile something for the series you're proposing?
You're the one most familiar with gone-by sessions and neither Quentin nor I have the time to listening to all the sessions of the past although I'm familiar with the points you've mentioned.

One of last years highlight for me was the translation of the keynote.
I even visited the Spanish server during the replay broadcast.
Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

Sounds good. Also, 1. NVDA and employment (presenters: Dave Williams and Sean Randall) is very good.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 6:53 PM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
> [...]

Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.

Or just let me know anything you need from me after (or ask anything you want input from me on before if possible or after) - certainly it's much more important for Robert to be at the meeting than me, and we're not going to find a time which suits everyone - even making a time which suited Robert and I wouldn't suit everyone else :)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 2:37 PM derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
> [...]

Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.

Minako Nonogaki

Thank you for mentioning our lightning talk, we are very glad.
I'm also glad if someone will feel that lightning talk with interpretaion is extention of opportunity.
Minako Nonogaki

2020年10月21日(水) 9:53 Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>:

> [...]

Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.

My only worry with your talk was it is a bit disjointed with pauses at the start, when we are using it essentially as an advertisement to say "Come to NVDACon, hear talks like these and feel invited to contribute one yourself", for a first time listener, particularly as I know many people are fussy with their audio (note, I'm not criticising the content at all!).  If we have someone who can do it (not necessarily retrospectively, but going forward) - is it worth trying to edit the recordings a bit more in future?  Not to change anything, just to take out long pauses, etc?

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Minako Nonogaki <minakonono3519@...> wrote:
> [...]

Therefore, one wish from my side would be that other countries chime in.

> Hi,
>
> Among many topics I’ve seen, Derek’s Google apps demo a few years ago
> comes to my mind as a particular favorite. It also highlights the
> progress Google has made in its accessibility in recent years. Another
> topic worth mentioning is Jamie’s Reaper demo a few years back.
>
> Perhaps one thing to consider mentioning is impact of opening forum. I
> remember one time folks talking about an NVDA suggestion that
> eventually came true (improved Office support, for instance).
>
> I can’t really talk about my own past topics (add-on development, for
> example) as they are not that impactful as others. But if I’m to
> select one of my favorites – or rather, the favorite moment, it’ll be
> the dramatic 2016 (tenth anniversary) NVDACon, especially the keynote sequence.

Quentin, I'm normally very fastidious in my edits. This one was
unfortunately not done by me.
I remember doing the one a year earlier and it was about 10 minutes
shorter than the original recording with over 200 single gaps that
I've removed or truncated.
I can edit the file until the next in-process.

I hope Minako and her team has another interesting presentation for us
this year.

From: intl@NVDACon.groups.io <mailto:intl@NVDACon.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:49 PM
To: intl@nvdacon.groups.io <mailto:intl@nvdacon.groups.io>

Afternoon everyone,

I'm working on this week's In-Process. Would we like to include
anything about NVDACon? We don't have to, but if you want to, the
opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process
releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Thanks Robert!  Don't feel pressured to update that other file, I just thought it might be a good one.  If you do I will use it, but there are plenty of others which would also be useful :)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...> wrote:
Quentin, I'm normally very fastidious in my edits. This one was
unfortunately not done by me.
I remember doing the one a year earlier and it was about 10 minutes
shorter than the original recording with over 200 single gaps that
I've removed or truncated.
I can edit the file until the next in-process.

I hope Minako and her team has another interesting presentation for us
this year.

> My only worry with your talk was it is a bit disjointed with pauses at the
> start, when we are using it essentially as an advertisement to say "Come to
> NVDACon, hear talks like these and feel invited to contribute one
> yourself", for a first time listener, particularly as I know many people
> are fussy with their audio (note, I'm not criticising the content at
> all!).  If we have someone who can do it (not necessarily retrospectively,
> but going forward) - is it worth trying to edit the recordings a bit more
> in future?  Not to change anything, just to take out long pauses, etc?
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Minako Nonogaki <minakonono3519@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for mentioning our lightning talk, we are very glad.
>> I'm also glad if someone will feel that lightning talk with interpretaion
>> is extention of opportunity.
>> Minako Nonogaki
>>
>> 2020年10月21日(水) 9:53 Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>:
>>
>>> I'm thinking I might link to Tony's lightning talk on Sentence Nav and
>>> Indent Nav from 2018: https://www.nvdacon.org/18snin - I thought having
>>> an add-on developer talk about their work might be useful to encourage
>>> more
>>> add-on developers.
>>>
>>> I was thinking "NVDA at work -support and help desk (Presenter: Tetsuro
>>> Kane, translated by Minako Nonogaki" sounds like a good one as a user
>>> talking about how they use NVDA, although the start at least is quite
>>> awkward and full of pauses.

Hi Quentin.
Laura and I just gave an interview for "Blind Abilities".
I have to edit that first - God only knows how it came about that I
was volunteered to that, probably the impact of too much coffee in the
early hours :D.
Certainly something that can be linked to as soon as it is up on their website.
I think it is very important to include something from the Japanese
community in order to show our respect, appreciation and thankfulness
for their contributions.

From: intl@NVDACon.groups.io <mailto:intl@NVDACon.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:49 PM
To: intl@nvdacon.groups.io <mailto:intl@nvdacon.groups.io>

Afternoon everyone,

I'm working on this week's In-Process. Would we like to include
anything about NVDACon? We don't have to, but if you want to,
the
opportunity is there.

Just for reference, from now up to NVDACon, the next In-process
releases are due to be:

This week (the week of the 19th October)

The week of the 2nd November

The week of the 16th November and

The week of the 30th November

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Thank you Robert!  I'm working on an In-Process edition today, probably to publish tomorrow (say within about 24 hours from now) - if that fits within your editing window I'd love to include a link to today's interview.  otherwise, don't stress, it will be there for the next edition :)

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin.
Laura and I just gave an interview for "Blind Abilities".
I have to edit that first - God only knows how it came about that I
was volunteered to that, probably the impact of too much coffee in the
early hours  :D.
Certainly something that can be linked to as soon as it is up on their website.
I think it is very important to include something from the Japanese
community in order to show our respect, appreciation and thankfulness
for their contributions.

> Thanks Robert!  Don't feel pressured to update that other file, I just
> thought it might be a good one.  If you do I will use it, but there are
> plenty of others which would also be useful :)
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Quentin, I'm normally very fastidious in my edits. This one was
>> unfortunately not done by me.
>> I remember doing the one a year earlier and it was about 10 minutes
>> shorter than the original recording with over 200 single gaps that
>> I've removed or truncated.
>> I can edit the file until the next in-process.
>>
>> I hope Minako and her team has another interesting presentation for us
>> this year.
>> Cheers
>> Robert
>>
>> On 21/10/2020, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
>> > My only worry with your talk was it is a bit disjointed with pauses at
>> the
>> > start, when we are using it essentially as an advertisement to say
>> > "Come
>> > NVDACon, hear talks like these and feel invited to contribute one
>> > yourself", for a first time listener, particularly as I know many
>> > people
>> > are fussy with their audio (note, I'm not criticising the content at
>> > all!).  If we have someone who can do it (not necessarily
>> retrospectively,
>> > but going forward) - is it worth trying to edit the recordings a bit
>> > more
>> > in future?  Not to change anything, just to take out long pauses, etc?
>> >
>> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Minako Nonogaki <
>> minakonono3519@...>

>> interpretaion

>> having

>> driemer.riemer@...>

>> the
>> believe
>> not

>> is

>> lauracornwell1@...>

It was fun thanks for doing this with me  you did a great job tonight.

Thank you Robert!  I'm working on an In-Process edition today, probably to publish tomorrow (say within about 24 hours from now) - if that fits within your editing window I'd love to include a link to today's interview.  otherwise, don't stress, it will be there for the next edition :)

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin.
Laura and I just gave an interview for "Blind Abilities".
I have to edit that first - God only knows how it came about that I
was volunteered to that, probably the impact of too much coffee in the
early hours  :D.
Certainly something that can be linked to as soon as it is up on their website.
I think it is very important to include something from the Japanese
community in order to show our respect, appreciation and thankfulness
for their contributions.

> Thanks Robert!  Don't feel pressured to update that other file, I just
> thought it might be a good one.  If you do I will use it, but there are
> plenty of others which would also be useful :)
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Quentin, I'm normally very fastidious in my edits. This one was
>> unfortunately not done by me.
>> I remember doing the one a year earlier and it was about 10 minutes
>> shorter than the original recording with over 200 single gaps that
>> I've removed or truncated.
>> I can edit the file until the next in-process.
>>
>> I hope Minako and her team has another interesting presentation for us
>> this year.
>> Cheers
>> Robert
>>
>> On 21/10/2020, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
>> > My only worry with your talk was it is a bit disjointed with pauses at
>> the
>> > start, when we are using it essentially as an advertisement to say
>> > "Come
>> > NVDACon, hear talks like these and feel invited to contribute one
>> > yourself", for a first time listener, particularly as I know many
>> > people
>> > are fussy with their audio (note, I'm not criticising the content at
>> > all!).  If we have someone who can do it (not necessarily
>> retrospectively,
>> > but going forward) - is it worth trying to edit the recordings a bit
>> > more
>> > in future?  Not to change anything, just to take out long pauses, etc?
>> >
>> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Minako Nonogaki <
>> minakonono3519@...>

>> interpretaion

>> having

>> driemer.riemer@...>

>> the
>> believe
>> not

>> is

>> lauracornwell1@...>

Thanks Quentin but this will take longer than that. It will eventually
passed on to their own editor to finalize with e.g. intro sounds etc.
It wouldn't be fair to upload our own version, I reckon.
Robert

<mailto:aarjay.robert@...> >

minakonono3519@... <mailto:minakonono3519@...> >

driemer.riemer@... <mailto:driemer.riemer@...> >