Topics

Speakers luncheon: April 7, 2016 at 6 PM Pacific?

Dear NVDACon members, NVDA community, NVDACon presenters, supporters and others,

First, thank you all for your continued enthusiasm over NVDACon 2016. What started out as a simple suggestion resulted in the largest gathering of NVDA developers, users, presenters and others. As of April 3, 2016 (less than three weeks to go), our full session slots are full, one more spot for lightning talk is left (hopefully to be filled by a speech synthesizer developer), sent out the first promotion and the conference site preparation is nearly finished.

To give you a status report on conference preparations, to let our presenters give an overview of their talk, and to answer last minute questions and to schedule various presentations, I’d like to request holding our speakers luncheon on April 7, 2016 at 6 PM Pacific (01:00 UTC on April 8th). This meeting will be held at the actual conference site (NVDA Korea TeamTalk Server at nvda-kr.org). The meeting time is quite unusual – this is a necessity given that presenters live in different time zones. A follow-up meeting might be held on the 8th (around 10 AM Pacific or 17:00 UTC) for those who couldn’t make it.

The agenda for this meeting is as follows:

·         Presenter and topic introductions.

·         Answering last minute questions.

·         Testing audio and channel setup (for this reason, please come with a microphone).

·         Broadcast facility tests (mostly for Jeff Bishop and other broadcasters).

·         Running a “mini” session so people can get an idea as to how presentations will be held and to become familiar with operator controls.

·         Conference talk scheduling (keynote, full sessions, negotiation between lightning talk presenters).

·         Post-conference events and other anniversary events.

Attendance:

·         NVDACon chair (me): mandatory.

·         Presenters: highly recommended.

·         Broadcasters: highly recommended.

·         NVDACon members: highly recommended.

·         Other members of the NVDA community: recommended.

·         Future would-be presenters: recommended.

·         Future would-be organizers of NVDACon International or regional gatherings: recommended.

For the last two categories, this is mostly for the benefit of future conference organizers so they can get a head start. Also, this meeting is open to NVDA community members (users, developers and supporters around the world) so they can get a chance to voice their opinions and to learn how NVDACon was organized.

Thanks, and hope to see you all at the speakers luncheon on the 7th (hopefully).

Sincerely,

Joseph

Hi all,

Can someone ask developers of Espeak NG and other synthesizers to see if they can talk about their projects as a lightning talk topic? We can offer them either lightning talk sessions (most likely lightning talk II if Kelly Ford and Marco Zehe opts to do lightning talks, if not, lightning talk I).

In regards to talking about user communities, I’m hoping that Nimer would do this, and if not, I’d be happy to talk about this as part of lightning talk II (after Davy talks about braille support).

As for speakers luncheon: I’d like to kindly request that members of this committee come to this meeting. This is so that you can network with presenters and for some of you to get a head start on planning the next NVDACon (international or regional/national).