Topics

Reservation of Right to Edit Testimonial Submissions

Bhavya shah

Dear all,
I would propose that we explicitly reserve the right to edit
testimonial submissions, where editing while primarily include
linguistic corrections and streamlining to a certain for mat.
By format, I mostly am referring to starting by one's name and
location (anonymity can be applied to remove this), followed by how
the user came to know and when did he come about to trying out NVDA,
his/her initial impressions, how his usage progressed into NVDA as a
primary/secondary/more reliable alternative and its current usage
status for the person, and how NVDA has impacted him/her.
Conclusively, we may want to request folks to include a note of
appreciation or comment on NV Access and NVDA's global contributor
base's efforts.
I am striving to ensure that I am able to retain this format for all
the audio testimonials (and some textual ones) various NVDA users have
agreed to submit.
Sincerest apologies for not bringing this up during today's meeting, I
probably may attend the follow-up session as well, so we might discuss
this subject in greater depth then. The time limit for audio
testimonials might want to be reduced to three or so minutes at the
most, or at least conciseness should be a strongly
emphasized/encouraged aspect.

Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
reader for Microsoft Windows
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09

Hmmm excuse me for being a bit snobbish but this sort of turns it into major advertising.
I for example used nvda from the start, realising how much I got out of it without an intercept driver.
However I am mostly a home user.
No emballishments, nothing.
I didn't emballish it by saying nvda is better than jaws and other such readers because each has their own strengths etc, etc.
I have often listened to podcasts where the company says this is better than all other things on the market previding the best in accessibility, protection and security, with all the extra dodads existing, better than windows, better than microsoft better than jaws.
Its the best on the market and for the cheap some of 1000 dollars pluss upgrade and delivery cost it will install on everything, and.
Can't afford it, no problem, just have add supported bits to make our company great,
Enjoy our free technical support and training with full support for windows and other things in general.
I am not going to mention names not eventhose that make jaws.
In most cases when a testimonial does this I tend to skip the entire thing.
And I have delt with software that once you shove yourself through the gloss find things not good about it.
Sure it may or may not work but you sell your identity to the company, install spyware and other stuff, the software gets slow and unresponsive and configuration is almost impossible.
Support is non existant and a few days down the road I am reformatting to make it go away and looking for more software.
While I agree we should have someone include the best ones, and maybe correct things where it is needed I am against glossing and restrictions that would make us look good.
If you want to be freedom scientiffic or other companies, norton, I am looking at you right now and other such companies blindy and or otherwise, then I will have no bar of it!
I may have to leave period.
The reasons I like nvda, are the following.
1. full use of uia/msaa/ stuff in the os that is allready there rather than relying on intercepts which is what others do.
Now don't get me wrong, there are times a vertual curser and intercept really help but there are limits.
The owniss for accessibility should be shoved on the head squarely of software developers and or those that make the libraries they use, I mean look at qt.
2. nvda can be installed on a lot of units and is portable wityh no licences and while we have a synth or 2 we support that is opensource we don't advertise payed extras like synths but support those that contribute with them and other things.
3. fully moddible with all the advantages that come with it like fast turn around and fast bug squashing with a democratic list structure and back end/ frontend management system everything is equal.
4. we use exclusively opensource stuff with grants from big companies but also donations from small ones and users.
5. unlike a lot of the big bigwigs we have not needed or been sued by anyone at all.
6. as far as I know we are user owned, run and opperated at least we mostly are certainly the opperational details are.
My point is we can write our own destiny.
With access to just about everything needed with the limits expanding all the time and the need for extra features being well that you can just plug and go and if you want something you only have to submit it for the entire group at large there is no delays.
We also don't have lists of executives to pay and while we do have a lot of big leaders and a few core developers, 99.9% of our development is user driven.
There is no need for glossing things or restricting things.
In fact the only restriction we should have is that there should not be any glossing at all and our experiences with the program should be as the user says they are.
Now I understand if you need to trim out things for rambling sake and thats fine however no more than that.
And while I am sure this is not what was meant in the below message I have had stuff gloss and well put it this way, I run it through and see what it is like before doing things with it first.
That is one of the reasons that I have not loaded any newer security or in fact no new software off the standard configuration except when I have had little choice.
To switch software especially on a large remote network such as I have especially to users that can not afford ongoing fees for it is quite hard.
And I can sympathise with those that stay on an older os, or still use xp and that crappy antivirus program that expired in 1991 because its stable and works and they don't want to rock the boat.
Put it this way the brandspanking new program may have more holes than a rat infested banana or house.
the model before well.
This is not always the case, however I had 3 friends.
2 of them got new computers, all worked fine.
They were a model going out of fassion just like mine was, it was a demo and was fully tested a bit aged by a couple years but all the stuff was out of it.
The 3rd friend payed 3000 dollars for the newest unit out there.
With the latest software, the latest security, and the latest hardware and speed, able to run over 100 programs at once or something similar.
Within the first 2 weeks of getting it it overheated and had major hardware issues.
Followed by security issues, and then other software issues.
All of these were fixed, but its now slow for no reason and I don't even know what it is, bits don't work and well.
Another friend got the best ultrabook there was.
With the latest os and latest software.
Only to have software and hardware issues up the wazoo as they say.
Finally after repairing it and a good reformat later he elected to install an old coppy of windows xp and has been ok up to now, aftr upgrading back to where he was he found that the issue was some bug outside warenty and while he got it fixed, the system cost him more than he payed for it.
Worse, after pulling all the prices of the software and hardware combined, and discounting all the addware, and viruses and bloat I found that what he was really paying for was the same system that only cost a quarter of what it should have cost bar the .5tb solidstate drive which was 600 dollars at the time and a flash hd screen.
Now I agree these are extreme cases but its why I care little about glossing at all.
For me personally I have had security toolbars that have worked within limits till you try to go beyond them and then you kill them and they don;'t kill.
Spam filters that wouldn't die and then so called security software that thought windows was a virus.
Now although that did make me chuckle a little it didn't change the fact I had to reformat 3 computers, thank god it had not spread to the remotes.
Not surprising when I went to complain at all companies involved they were off the net, either out of business or probably in the jail after mangling a lot of units.
The catch for me on nvda is its freedom of just about everything.
And to be honest while I read forums and user reviews anything that says this company thinks our software is the best and here are some users that think it is really good to I do wander what goes on.
Especially because after reading those I go to a forum and find its not that good, support is nonexistant and the software is overpriced and totally crap.

On 8/04/2016 7:44 p.m., Bhavya shah wrote:
[...]
Thanks.

Bhavya shah

Hi Shaun,
These testimonials are more specifically, I believe, tailored and
addressed to NV Access, and there is no need for comparison with other
commercial/non-commercial screen reading alternatives. You need not
advertise anything either, but at least mentioning what you find
particularly great in NVDA in the testimonial might be a bit useful.
Hope that clarifies.
Thanks.

On 4/8/16, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
[...]

AAh, What about if you don't have a feature I find especially usefull.
I guess, if I had to pick the speed and modability and fast paced development fully customisable and built from the ground up from a script language would be well what I would shove.
As to if it had to be an accessability feature, I guess it would be that I can read all web and desktop apps bar a few things that need other readers and well that is a few games, most things that uses standard windows controls are readable stuff like that.
Or maybe the fact it can run on a singlecore with little memmory to as big as you want in theory.
But I can't spaciffically pick never have been able to.
But I guess speed and modability features for me are good.

On 8/04/2016 9:17 p.m., Bhavya shah wrote:
[...]

If you don't want to submit one, no one is forcing it on you. It's just an option, and believe it or not, NVDA has helped a lot of people, including me. We aren't going to edit the crap out of them to make them look good, but yes, maybe we do need to fix spelling errors or what not. Also, NVDA isn't spyware, so comparing it to spyware isn't even fare.

On 4/8/2016 5:16 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

  • Department of computer science, third year undergraduate student.
  • Member of Bridge Cu
  • Avid skiier.

Websites:
Honors portfolio