Topics

NVDACon International 2016: Testimonials, testimonials and more testimonials

Dear members of the NVDA community around the world:

NVDACon 2016 is less than a month away. Because NVDA is your screen reader, we the organizers of NVDACon and NV Access would like to receive testimonials from you. It could be anything: how NVDA has been utilized at work, NVDA and employment, education and so forth.

To send testimonials:

Please send them to nvdacon@groups.io.

If using Twitter, send them to @nvdacon.

Testimonials can be in text or audio format (if audio, please make it under five minutes). We’ll receive testimonials until close of NVDACon (we guarantee anonymity), and some of these will be featured as part of the conference closing/testimonials session.

Looking forward to receiving your testimonials. Thank you.

Joseph S. Lee

Chair, NVDA Tenth Anniversary Planning Committee

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clcaul@...>

Hello,

My name is Cleverson, from Brazil. I've heard of NVDA for the first time still in 2006, when a brazilian contact forwarded to a mailing list a little message from Michael Curran announcing that he was working on a project as part of his graduating course. He also said it already supported Sapi 5, though it couldn't yet provide a good Notepad support. Then I joined the mailing list he announced for the project, and as soon as I noticed it was serious, I volunteered to translate it to Brazilian Portuguese. The localization support was not implemented, but I decided to continue following the project in any case, and within some months it became possible for translators to being working, so I did it. If the project was starting today, I'm not sure I would have volunteered, since I'm busier today than I was. In any case, NVDA is today the project on which I work for the longest time, since 2006 December.

Apart from the translation, some of my suggestions were also implemented, such as using txt2tags, a brazilian application, to generate the docs, and the Microsoft speech platform synthesisers' support, initially suggested by a ticket opened by me.

I've used NVDA for the last five years on my workplace, so there have been no need to pay for comercial solutions. At home I also use it practically exclusively.

I think that's it. In case I remember other interesting facts, I'll write it down here.

Greetings,
Cleverson

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clcaul@...>

Just to give due credits: I translate mainly the NVDA interface messages and the add-ons, and Marlin, a coleague who came later, is responsible for the users' guide and the changes' document.

Cheers
Cleverson