Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Robert Hänggi

I won't further participate in the discussion in this thread as it
seems not to be the right place nor order of procedure and the thread
name itself is either poor choice or some morbid joke that I don't
understand.
I find it personally rather silly to act up like in kindergarten only
to hit a point home. Despite the fact that offering to pay for the
first conference on the Zoom platform is doubtless very generous,
there is no way that we could probably accept that.
It would look like a lobbyist got his will through some sort of indirect bribe.
Not only that, it seems that users and moderators aim for multiple
gatherings in a smaller frame during the year and thus we wouldn't be
able to live on a single month donation.
It is an entirely different thing if we can guarantee a more or less
steady funding through a multitude of users.
We will certainly strive for that goal but it needs some setup first
(we have currently neither budget nor any bank or paypal account).
I beg you to be patient and to wait until the taskforce21 (evaluation
of platform possibilities and requirements) has done its work.

I leave you with a quote that seems to me exactly fitting the situation:
"We are in a time that is increasingly fractured. ...
if you look at the world right now. If you look at the news.
If you look at the news coverage. If you look at any controversy that we see:
Something has changed
and that is that it has become increasingly popular for your feelings
to matter, more than the facts.
And I think that is toxic to democracy because if there is one thing
we have to have:
to be able to have this discussion, to be able to learn, to live with
people that we disagree with.
We can't have a conversation about what we should do
We can't have a conversation about where we're going,
if we can't agree on where we are,
if we can't agree on what is happening.
Facts have to matter more than feelings."
Edward Snowden
(at around 10:30 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9yK1QndJSM )

One extra could be put in in this reguard.

I do not use it because 1 I don't like the interface and 2, I just have
enough channels I am on, but if people really want to do this, dischord
is used by both blind and sighted.

I guess whatsapp and facebook messenger for those that care could be
other options.

A discord server is free enough.

I'd be against a total fan event, at least for the forums and chats.

Now there isn't anything in the rules saying that we couldn't put
lightning talks, keynotes, and development discussions to something like
zoom if thats what people want.

I have been on webinars that are like this.

Now though, who are we serving here?

With exception with the developments and where blindness and
accessibility meet mainstream technologies and we do try to get into
those where we can, a lot of this is a disabled event.

And its quite short in any case.

But if the community want to go with it go here and email them, and
mention my name.

https://accessadvisors.nz/

This is the link to the company I work for as a tester of various things.

They have been my main source of income this year and have assimilated
most of the local companies, and charity access teams I have been.

As a collective they are ok.

These guys could previde some stuff, though there would be cash involved
with various things so I do think that the con keep doing recordings for
distribution.

Then again, I am unsure on how zoom handles not for proffit organisations.

Idealy though, you would want to allow various forums either to
broadcast simultainiously or at least have options.

If zoom is used there is options of phoning in.

The other thing is, how big do we want this to go.

The main event is the international con.

I don't usually appear due to timezones and the like at any of these and
there is no actual local event for me but thats fine.

Now if you guys want to get big, then maybe I can have a crack at
helping but I've never set my own event like this so it would be with
someone else.

You do realise though that if we go bigger then the team will need to be
bigger.

And if thats done, not everyone will be able to meet at the propper time
so a lot of extras will have to be done by email which could be a
problem depending what and where, etc.

I don't spend all day in front of a workstation especially in the summer.

On 9/12/2020 12:42 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Shaun brought up an important point: who is this event for? The answer
to this will have stunning implications for next year’s organizers:

* This is strictly an NVDA community event: there was a suggestion
to create a regular meeting/workshop/gathering between NVDA users
that goes beyond mailing lists. For that, we don’t need the scale
of NVDACon (to be honest with you all).
* This is a blindness specific event: well, there are other events
like this where the NVDA community can come together to discuss
the product.
* NVDACon should target outsiders, including sighted individuals:
this will necessitate moving TOWARD more prominent platforms.

I think some of the reasons for getting ourselves into a corner like
this is due to old assumptions regarding the NVDACon, its character,
and scale. Earlier iterations of this event were successful when
considering that the event was limited to the NVDA community. This
changed in 2016 and 2017 when the gathering became larger and more
prominent, evidenced by more mentions in blindness presses and
presentation line-up. When considering the pandemic, this year was a
success, made more prominent as people tuned into events via a live
stream.

The fact that we even had a live stream and willingness by people in
places such as Spain to translate the keynote for their language
communities means we have crossed a bridge of no return. Prior to
this, it was word of mouth that influenced NVDACon’s reputation. Of
course folks tuning in via TeamTalk had slightly better experiences as
they had live access to presenters and the conference in general. But
now the conference was streamed live and keynote was translated into
Spanish a few hours after the main event, and you can see why we
cannot go back to NvDACon of yesteryear. In short, folks will need to
think carefully about the target audience and the communities they are
serving and wish to reach out to.

I’m sure some of us do not want NVDACon to become another fan meeting.
If NVDACon did become a fan meeting, held using a platform that the
community thinks is acceptable and accessible only by the community
and fans, then NVDACon will not be able to escape the corner it has
found itself in: a niche event. If next year’s organizers decide that
NVDACon should become more global and mainstream in terms of audience
outreach and creative content, then folks need to make strategic
decisions early and move the event in a direction that restores its
reputation as a source of useful information and filled with timely
analyses and critiques of NVDA and its community. Choosing a platform
is just one of the things to be decided based on an overall vision and
strategy; others include content that does contribute meaningful
information, willingness to listen to critics, and professional event
execution. NVDACon is not a fan meeting; it’s a professional gathering
of the community that must now consider its impact on outside audiences.

Some important suggestions and recommendations forthcoming.