Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Hi all,

Shaun brought up an important point: who is this event for? The answer to this will have stunning implications for next year’s organizers:

  • This is strictly an NVDA community event: there was a suggestion to create a regular meeting/workshop/gathering between NVDA users that goes beyond mailing lists. For that, we don’t need the scale of NVDACon (to be honest with you all).
  • This is a blindness specific event: well, there are other events like this where the NVDA community can come together to discuss the product.
  • NVDACon should target outsiders, including sighted individuals: this will necessitate moving TOWARD more prominent platforms.

I think some of the reasons for getting ourselves into a corner like this is due to old assumptions regarding the NVDACon, its character, and scale. Earlier iterations of this event were successful when considering that the event was limited to the NVDA community. This changed in 2016 and 2017 when the gathering became larger and more prominent, evidenced by more mentions in blindness presses and presentation line-up. When considering the pandemic, this year was a success, made more prominent as people tuned into events via a live stream.

The fact that we even had a live stream and willingness by people in places such as Spain to translate the keynote for their language communities means we have crossed a bridge of no return. Prior to this, it was word of mouth that influenced NVDACon’s reputation. Of course folks tuning in via TeamTalk had slightly better experiences as they had live access to presenters and the conference in general. But now the conference was streamed live and keynote was translated into Spanish a few hours after the main event, and you can see why we cannot go back to NvDACon of yesteryear. In short, folks will need to think carefully about the target audience and the communities they are serving and wish to reach out to.

I’m sure some of us do not want NVDACon to become another fan meeting. If NVDACon did become a fan meeting, held using a platform that the community thinks is acceptable and accessible only by the community and fans, then NVDACon will not be able to escape the corner it has found itself in: a niche event. If next year’s organizers decide that NVDACon should become more global and mainstream in terms of audience outreach and creative content, then folks need to make strategic decisions early and move the event in a direction that restores its reputation as a source of useful information and filled with timely analyses and critiques of NVDA and its community. Choosing a platform is just one of the things to be decided based on an overall vision and strategy; others include content that does contribute meaningful information, willingness to listen to critics, and professional event execution. NVDACon is not a fan meeting; it’s a professional gathering of the community that must now consider its impact on outside audiences.

Some important suggestions and recommendations forthcoming.