Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Iván Novegil

Hi Adriani.

I'm interested on reviewing the exact budget, with plans, features and so on, if you have any. As coordinator of this year's Spanish meeting I want to start preparing some things for 2021's and the platform was one of the things some attendants asked for a change.

Nimer, I don't agree with you at all. The only thing that makes TeamTalk a less ideal platform is the difficulty of configuring its options and, including the fact of entering server and port details. apart from this, it offers a complete set of moderation tools; which moderators hadn't used them during the first part of openning forum doesn't mean that they don't exist, in fact during sessions with speakers classroom mode was used. furthermore, although Zoom doesn't seem to have a poor audio quality, TeamTalk is more configurable with regard to that. For example, in 2019 Spanish Meeting we had a speaker who was explaining track panning with Audacity through a live demo, and he had to request the channel to be switched into a stereo codec. with TeamTalk we were able to do that. Echo cancellation and noise reduction are not better due to that philosophy, which is clearly established by TeamTalk devs, of priorizing audio quality. Another deficient thing of TeamTalk is the support by email, but that affects server admins only and is not the main debate here.

I find your complain legitimate, and I understand that TeamTalk is not easy to configure for a lot of users, but saying that its features are poor is not a good point IMO.

BTW, I think my partner Jose has sent this to robert as well, but if you are interested, we have created a set of "run and connect" TeamTalk clients.

https://github.com/nvda-es/arrancayconecta

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

NVDA.es Logo
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 08/12/2020 á(s) 5:43, Adriani Botez escribiu:

Dear all,

it was a pleasure to work with all of you together also this year, especially Robert, Laura, Austin and Derek really great job in organizing it this year. Even though I couldn’t participate in organizational meetings and so on, I tried to follow the conversations and to help when was possible. I have the feeling that the NVDACon team gets stronger and grows in a sustainable way which makes me really lucky to see.

Regarding zoom, I explored this opportunity last year and had two long conversations with the Zoom people trying to negociate a meaningful plan which is teylored for NVDACon. I ended up at about 145 USD per month, if we include full recording features, 10 moderator accounts, full webinar features and so on. My conclusion was as follows:

  • The best way would be to rent a Zoom pro account from an organization which already uses it regularly (cheapest way I would say)
  • Zoom doesn’t offer weekend plans
  • We need a backup through an NGO to get discount
  • We need an account for NVDACon to begin fund raising throughout the community (i.e. a paypal account)
  • We need to think about an alternative conference format, moderating a Zoom conference which takes three days long is really really not an easy job, especially if we want to avoid what happened during Opening forum this year.

Let me know your thoughts and I can start negociations with them again.

I will also try to find a solution for getting a Zoom pro account to test a one day conference, maybe in February.

Doug Lee and me we’re preparing an overview of the platforms out there and will try to find what the best is for NVDACon.

Best regards

Adriani