Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Robert Hänggi

On 08/12/2020, Adriani Botez <adriani.botez@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

it was a pleasure to work with all of you together also this year,
especially Robert, Laura, Austin and Derek really great job in organizing it
this year. Even though I couldn’t participate in organizational meetings and
so on, I tried to follow the conversations and to help when was possible. I
have the feeling that the NVDACon team gets stronger and grows in a
sustainable way which makes me really lucky to see.

Regarding zoom, I explored this opportunity last year and had two long
conversations with the Zoom people trying to negociate a meaningful plan
which is teylored for NVDACon. I ended up at about 145 USD per month, if we
include full recording features, 10 moderator accounts, full webinar
features and so on. My conclusion was as follows:

* The best way would be to rent a Zoom pro account from an organization
which already uses it regularly (cheapest way I would say)
Exactly so although I don't like the affiliation, dependants and
overall problems on coordination that it is involved.

* Zoom doesn’t offer weekend plans
* We need a backup through an NGO to get discount
* We need an account for NVDACon to begin fund raising throughout the
community (i.e. a paypal account)
Although we have a donate button, I wonder if there were ever payments
made through it to the NVDA project.
All in all, it needs much more than a button. We need funnels, opt-ins
and most important a mailing list (gimp like) to bind users
permanently.
This isn't just for fund raising but also to extract valid data about
the regular emails that we send (were they opened, were the links
clicked etc).
Apart from that, it is just convenient to set up emails beforehand and
reminders (e.g. for the conference start) go out automatically.

* We need to think about an alternative conference format, moderating a Zoom
conference which takes three days long is really really not an easy job,
especially if we want to avoid what happened during Opening forum this
year.
As a side-note, did someone ever attend a zoom meeting like our forums
where any user can speak at any time?
The meetings that I've attended were all just directed by a single
host and participants had to raise their hands to speak.

Let me know your thoughts and I can start negociations with them again.

I will also try to find a solution for getting a Zoom pro account to test a
one day conference, maybe in February.

Doug Lee and me we’re preparing an overview of the platforms out there and
will try to find what the best is for NVDACon.
The features that go into the workbook are not a two-men decision, are they?
Because that's how one could interpret this sentence.

Best regards

Adriani