Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Robert Hänggi

Hi

Again, for reference, here is the pricing page of zoom:
https://zoom.us/pricing

I'm horrified when I check the feature we want and read the total cost.
I've read comments like "If they can't afford $10 per month, I will
gladly pay it from my own pocket".
This is very misleading. The minimum plan for our purpose costs $200 per year
The ideal plan (with phone calling, enough participants, live
streaming, multiple rooms, replays, better website integration and so
on) amounts to $1200 per year.

Some people said that we could use their accounts.
I don't know how you feel about it but I don't like the thought to be
dependant on others.
Nonetheless, we will check out the options and Doug lee (as Joseph
said) is composing a workbook with all the possibilities.

On 08/12/2020, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes you are correct James. I wonder between NV Access and
individuals/non for proffit orgs around the world with some promotion
etc. could raise money to use Zoom? If the NVDA community worldwide
starts something like this now that would be great. Yeah I know many
folks can't donate, but if we get said orgs for the blind on board that
would be a running start.

On 12/7/2020 6:27 PM, James Teh wrote:
I'd respectfully point out that Zoom is not free - it actually ends up
being quite costly for something like NVDACon - so it's not simply a
matter of popular opinion. Any proposal to move to an alternative
platform also needs to consider how that platform will be funded
and/or set up.

Jamie

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com
<mailto:linomorales001@gmail.com>> wrote:

I didn't partake in the Con this year, however I vote for Zoom for
2021 and later. As you stated Joseph the hosts have more control.
I'm been crowing about getting Zoom for the past couple of years
pree pandemic. Glad it went well and hope to hear the recordings
soon.

On 12/7/2020 4:39 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

First, it was great to see many people at NVDACon 2020. I
personally consider this a successful event despite the pandemic
and its effects. Although we had issues in the beginning, it ran
smoothly, especially as the post-keynote QnA was very extensive.

A few thank you’s:

* Robert Hangi: chairing the organizing committee and upgrading
the pre-keynote experience.
* Laura Cornwell and friends: effective promotion, and for
streaming parts of the conference.
* Austin Pinto and other recording engineers.
* Derek Riemer: infrastructure and providing support.
* NV Access crew: another amazing keynote.
* Presenters: for diversifying the topics.

And most importantly, audience members who shared their passion
for NVDA and giving organizers countless encouragements. Hope the
event served as a healing moment for you.

Second, based on actual experience and post-event feedback, I
would like to suggest that organizers look into a different
platform for NVDACon 2021 and beyond. Of course we have to think
about accessibility and outreach, but mostly to help future
conference moderators perform their tasks more efficiently. Zoom
is a possibility, and Doug Lee apparently organized an Excel
spreadsheet with potential platforms. I would also like to
suggest that when a platform is chosen, organizers meet regularly
using that platform to familiarize themselves as to how to use it
effectively.

Lastly, NVDACon Twitter feed is still alive. The next post from
there will be done when recordings become available.

I announced this after the closing forum, but this is to affirm
that I will not be participating in NVDACon planning for next
year. However, if people want me to, I can give coaching for
presenters upon request – mostly to go over online presentation
etiquette, how to respond to comments, and refining small things
in content. Apart from that, I will be your biggest fan from the
distance.

May the NVDACon continue to bridge the community for years to come.

Joseph S. Lee

Student (communication studies), California State University, Los
Angeles

Code contributor and add-ons reviewer, NVDA screen reader project

Certified NVDA Expert, 2019

Founding chair, NVDA Users and Developers Conference (NVDACon –
2014 to 2016