Re: NVDACon 2020 post-mortem analysis: success, moving to a different platform, Twitter feed

Lino Morales

I didn't partake in the Con this year, however I vote for Zoom for 2021 and later. As you stated Joseph the hosts have more control. I'm been crowing about getting Zoom for the past couple of years pree pandemic. Glad it went well and hope to hear the recordings soon.

On 12/7/2020 4:39 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

First, it was great to see many people at NVDACon 2020. I personally consider this a successful event despite the pandemic and its effects. Although we had issues in the beginning, it ran smoothly, especially as the post-keynote QnA was very extensive.

A few thank you’s:

  • Robert Hangi: chairing the organizing committee and upgrading the pre-keynote experience.
  • Laura Cornwell and friends: effective promotion, and for streaming parts of the conference.
  • Austin Pinto and other recording engineers.
  • Derek Riemer: infrastructure and providing support.
  • NV Access crew: another amazing keynote.
  • Presenters: for diversifying the topics.

And most importantly, audience members who shared their passion for NVDA and giving organizers countless encouragements. Hope the event served as a healing moment for you.

Second, based on actual experience and post-event feedback, I would like to suggest that organizers look into a different platform for NVDACon 2021 and beyond. Of course we have to think about accessibility and outreach, but mostly to help future conference moderators perform their tasks more efficiently. Zoom is a possibility, and Doug Lee apparently organized an Excel spreadsheet with potential platforms. I would also like to suggest that when a platform is chosen, organizers meet regularly using that platform to familiarize themselves as to how to use it effectively.

Lastly, NVDACon Twitter feed is still alive. The next post from there will be done when recordings become available.

I announced this after the closing forum, but this is to affirm that I will not be participating in NVDACon planning for next year. However, if people want me to, I can give coaching for presenters upon request – mostly to go over online presentation etiquette, how to respond to comments, and refining small things in content. Apart from that, I will be your biggest fan from the distance.

May the NVDACon continue to bridge the community for years to come.

Joseph S. Lee

Student (communication studies), California State University, Los Angeles

Code contributor and add-ons reviewer, NVDA screen reader project

Certified NVDA Expert, 2019

Founding chair, NVDA Users and Developers Conference (NVDACon – 2014 to 2016