Re: NvDACon Korea summary: various ideas, community participatoin and more

Annette Cooper <annette.cooper1@...>

If I was a good speller I would right something but I am not. So if you’s would like me out of the groop just say yes

From: intl@NVDACon.groups.io [mailto:intl@NVDACon.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: August-06-16 1:22 AM
To: intl@NVDACon.groups.io
Subject: [NVDACon] NvDACon Korea summary: various ideas, community participatoin and more

Hi international and regional NVDACon planners,

Although we had only three participants, I consider NVDACon Korea to be a success. Below is a summary of topics discussed during NVDACon Korea:

·         Chair’s report: I talked about what NVDA is, tenth anniversary events and history of NVDA in Korea. An English translation of this report will be made available soon (this was the only recorded part).

·         NVDA Korea website: it was noted that nvda-kr.org is run by a person living in the United States, and participants agreed that it would be best for someone living in Korea to run this or another domain. A participant from Korea said he’ll look at what can be done about the domain.

·         Moving to Word Press: nvda-kr.org is powered by Drupal, and it was suggested that we switch to WP instead, as it contains plug-ins that might be ideal for Korean community and useful for Korean users.

·         Question and answer forum: there was a survey conducted asking what users want from the Korean community, and a question and answer forum was the top request, thus conference attendees agreed to investigate this.

·         Translations: translators will continue to translate NVDA’s interface and user guide, and it was agreed that I will translate WinTenApps add-on into Korean (as I’m the author).

·         Collaborating with sighted developers: It was agreed that the Korean community should reach out to sighted programmers, especially Python developers, and it was agreed to have a meeting next year to hear feedback from sighted community members and developers on hearing feedback regarding NVDA in Korea and abroad.

·         Need to raise next group of translators: Participants agreed that it is important to start thinking about inviting next group of Korean translators.

·         NVDACon Korea chairmanship: It was noted that it would be ideal for someone from Korea to chair our conferences to improve communication efficiencies and to let people from Korea take the lead in organizing other community events.

Thank you.

Sincerely,