Re: NVdaCon stuff please read and let me know what you all think.

Quentin Christensen

Just having a look at Zoom's pricing, they have a pro account for $15 USD / month with up to 100 participants and 1TB cloud recording.  The next one up is Small Business at $20 USD / month with up to 300 participants, recording transcripts, managed domains and company branding.

Looks like you save a little paying a year at a time - basically pay for 10 months, so $150 USD / year or $200 / year for those two plans.  The next plan up is $240 USD / year for 500 participants, although it says to "contact sales" rather than having the option simply to buy now.

I found several blogs criticising Zoom for not having any plan, discount or offers for non-profits, so it doesn't look like we can use our status to any advantage there (though if we wanted to use Zoom we could certainly ask).

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 6:39 AM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Nimer if you have a zoom account then fine.

On that note, since nvaccess is a charity anyway, we should be able to have our own zoom account and site like nvaccess.zoom.us.

I am unsure what that would cost.

But I could be in a position to help a little, having no travel due to covid bar a little tour round the country this year has given me a little more room.

Obviously it wouldn't be much over a hundred or so if it got to that but I could try I guess.

Sadly due to times when stuff is on I always end up catching recorded archives.

On 26/08/2021 3:01 am, Nimer Jaber wrote:
Robert,

We are talking about meeting on TeamTalk, not Teams. I am strongly opposed to TeamTalk. I am sure that someone in this group has a Zoom account. If not, I am happy to pay for one for these meetings and set up a call. I also have access to Google Meet through a G Suite account, which has access to unlimited meetings. We have options. Please, let's kill off TeamTalk once and for all. I make a big issue about this because I don't want us to start planning using some different tool than the one we are going to use for the con itself. We might as well kill off TeamTalk and start exploring options.

If con this year is going to be carried out the way it was last year, with TeamTalk being used, I will not be part of further planning. I am happy to help if con is going to take the step of being more representative and inclusive of all users, and most users don't use TeamTalk.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 7:29 AM Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@...> wrote:
Nimer, we will certainly switch but we have to start on common ground first.
Zoom let's us only meet for 40 minutes right now, until we have a host
with a pro account. Teams might well be the platform for planning, it
might not be suited for the final event. Rumors say that its sound
quality isn't the best. Strangely enough, that's what I feel about
Zoom meetings. Of course, I can't say if this is a local abnormality.
'Til then
Robert